Monday 9 February 2009

Another great reason to move to Switzerland...

Not only do they have the Alps, fantastic transportation and Zurich (the 4th most livable city in the world), but living in Switzerland means eating Swiss chocolate. And lots of it, apparently.


The NZZ (a newspaper that many people I know love, but I can't really read) reported today that despite the economic downturn/credit crunch/recession/depression/whatchamacallit, the Swiss "Schoko-Industrie" had its best year ever in 2008. This doesn't surprise me really, since chocolate is one of life's most fantastic affordable luxuries which people are less likely to give up when times get tough.

More astounding, I think, is the fact that the average Swiss resident eats 12.4 kg of chocolate a year (including imports). This works out to more than a kilogram of chocolate a month, which boils down to about 30 grams a day.

It seems that before I can live there I have some catching up to do. I think I can manage.

4 comments:

frances said...

I know I do my bit!

Rococo is my favourite maker, though I also like Montezuma (chilli, yum), I also like Almedei, though I should buy Divine exclusively cos it is Fairtrade, I also like.......Minstrels......oh dear.

Joanna said...

I'm trying! I just made a significant dent in my 30g goal for the day with some divine Divine dark chocolate. You're right, it feels virtuous because it is Fairtrade, but it's my favourite "everyday chocolate", and cheaper than Green&Black's.

Rococo is in a league of its own. I was there on Saturday and had a passionfruit truffle. Unbelievably good.

I also have a soft spot for smarties and peanut m&m's...

The Accidental Parisian said...

I love good chocolate, but I love "bad" chocolate, too, and I'm not afraid to say it. Valrhona is great, but sometimes you just need a bit of the old fruit'n'nut. Mmm mmm.

gastroanthropologist said...

Its true. When I lived in Geneva the biggest section at the local grocers was the chocolate. When you taste the milk and dairy - and it is so delicious - you know it goes so well with chocolate. And that chocolate has to be the best. A really good piece of chocolate - its heaven.